PLAB Made Easy: Interview Series ( Part 1)

 

PLAB Made Easy: Interview Series ( Part 1)

Due to the increasing number of questions regarding this topic, let’s start with detailed discussions on how to answer the most common and important questions asked in interviews.

Photo by Daniel McCullough on Unsplash

To begin in this journey, I would like you all to think about how you would answer this question first rather than going forwards to the answer which I provide here. This will help you reflect on your view of the question and help in strengthening your concepts of answering questions in interviews.

How do you see yourself in the next 10 years?

I would like you to pause now and think about how you would answer this question. 

Photo by Tom Crew on Unsplash

Let’s see how you should ideally answer this question.

Answer

When you are dealing with such a question, remember the CAMP structure

C- Clinical 

A- Academic 

M- Management

P- Personal 

Let’s explore all of these in detail and try to frame an answer.

Clinical 

You should speak about what kind of clinical scenario you want to see yourself in, in the next 10 years. 

Model answer 

I want to be working as a consultant in Cardiology in a university hospital. I would like to develop expertise in the field of transcatheter valve implantation as I am very interested in the same. 

Academic 

Talk about your academic goals. This can include research projects, teaching, and additional degrees.

Model answer

I want to be a researcher in the field of drug development in breast cancer. For the same, I would like to get a master's degree in clinical research in due course. To share my knowledge further I would love to be involved in educational and training activities as well. 

Management 

Talk about your managerial goals if any in terms of service development, quality improvement, and trainee education.

Model answer

I would aspire to take up the role of the quality improvement lead in the hospital I would be working in as I believe that audits and quality improvement projects are absolutely essential to bring about improvements in patient care. 

Personal

Speak about your goals at a personal level. This can be clinical or non-clinical. This may include the city you would like to settle in, your hobbies, or the qualities you want to develop as a person.

Model answer

At a personal level, I would like to settle in a rural hospital setting. I would love to give time to develop my hobbies as a writer and would like to read more spiritual books to develop myself as a wise person. 

Using the CAMP structure will impress the interviewers as you will be able to give a wider view of your aspirations.

Photo by Maranda Vandergriff on Unsplash


Comments

Popular Posts